Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Russian Cemetery

(Here are a few final posts which never made it to teh interwebs before I left for the US)

On one of my weekend jaunts around Миасс and Тургаяк I stumbled upon something that I had wanted to visit before I left, a local cemetery. No, I'm not a goth or a grave robber, I just think that cemeteries are really interesting places and can sometimes give you an insight into a culture or community that you might not get elsewhere.

The first difference you notice between American and Russian cemeteries is that our cemeteries are more like parks. Well manicured lawns, perfect little foot paths, immaculate headstones.

Each plot has it's own area surrounded by a small fence. There will usually be a table and a stool for family members to bring food and drink.

There were also a lot of fake flowers, which is really a great idea because they look good a long time after you "plant" them.

All of the headstones also had a picture, usually in color, of the person. This is also a stark contrast with what you will find in the US where only the very wealthy people get their portrait engraved into the stone.
Above, the more typical type of portrait, a small round photo.

1 comment:

  1. New concept: to picnic at the gravesite of loved ones. Fake flowers will last even in the snow.

    ReplyDelete