Monday, August 17, 2009

Camping at Lake Turg

Last week I went camping at our local gem of a lake, озеро Тургояк (Lake Turgoyak). I finally took up the invitation from our friend Михайл (Michael). He spends his summer camping at the lake alongside other families and friends from in town.

With Caitlin still sick at home, I set out on my bike. I got a good workout riding for an hour to get the campsite. The food tasted even better after that.

A traditional Russian soup: potato, bologna-like meat, onions, carrot, dill (essential) and a chicken broth. The cook also added some spice which made this soup out of this world.

A marshmellow like thing filled with caramel, which is not as sweet or liquid as the caramel sauce we have in the US.

Another essential for any Russian gathering: чай (tea). It's actually not as exciting as the pic above, we are just boiling water :) but I really do enjoy the tradition. It seems when ever we go someplace with Russians, you must at least have чай.

After being stuffed with delicious food and meeting some of the people camping with Михайл, we went "next door" and meet up with another set of campers who traveled to the Urals from the Moscow region. By this time it was getting dark, so the fire was kicked up a notch and guitars were brought out. Then begins hours of singing Russian folk songs around the campfire.

Morning mist over the lake

Turgayak Town

2 comments:

  1. It's Михаил (no 'ch' sound in there) :)

    Also, I think you should transliterate lake name with an 'o': Lake Turgoyak.

    -- The ShadoW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought only the British drink tea all the time. Live and learn. It's also the Russians. Find out what spice they used in the soup. I can't imagine bologna soup tasting that good, though it does look good though in the picture. I expect to hear a few Russian folk songs when you get back with Caitlin on the guitar. Is Turgoyak Town composed of dachas?

    ReplyDelete