Monday, July 6, 2009

Frozen Broccoli and Pelmeni

I found broccoli! It exists in frozen scoop your own style. Actually, it kicks the green giants butt; it was quite tasty. Also, we have enough choices of pelmeni to last us 2 months. We went out of our way in St. Petersburg to find this tasty traditional treat in restaurants. пельмени (pelmeni) is Russian tortellini. It basically is the frozen food of choice to buy from the grocery store; there are not a lot of choices of frozen meals. Today our lovely hostess Marina brought us fresh strawberries from her mother’s garden.
I’m having a rough time trying to buy milk. Milk is sold in a plastic bag. I don’t know how this works since trying to find a pitcher seems like a lost cause. I can’t imagine people drinking milk all in one hit. I tried to buy a bottle and ended up with Kefir. I love this back at home where it’s sweeter and mixed with fruit like a smoothie. I bought a bag here and it truly defines what you think of when you think of “sour” cream. My second time, I bought white stuff in a bottle, and was hoping for milk, but it was again Kefir, which this time was not as horrible.

Today I bought a cast iron frying pan, spatula, knife, cutting board, and 3 Tupperware containers for 700 rubles or about $25 US, finally this shopping experience proved cheap.

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing your kitchen and shopping trials! I expect a true russian dining experience when you return home with your newfound knowledge. (You know me, I'll do anything for a free meal)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you must be having a blast trying to figure all this stuff out!!

    ReplyDelete