Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Teaching at Flare Fitness Center


It happened! I taught a yoga class in Russia and it was the best day ever! I had 9 participants and taught for an hour and a half.
It all started because Marina is friends with Liza (sounds like: Leeza) who is a yoga instructor at a newly opened fitness studio down the street from me called Flare. It is a cozy and charming studio just like ones back at home. It has one big room with 2 walls of mirrors, one wall of windows and one wall that is a tropical ocean mural. The added touch is the Asian style tea corner, perfectly placed because tea drinking is an important part of Russian culture.
On Friday, I did laundry at Marina’s house and Liza came over. She is tall gorgeous blonde and totally hooked on yoga. We have both been teaching for about the same amount of time. We had a great discussion only because Marina was a great translator about Iyengar, Jivamukti, Yogafit and YogaJournal. Liza told me “You will teach a master class on Saturday at 9:00 for two hours.” I felt a little pressure, but was excited to rise to this perfect challenge. My goal as a yoga teacher is to blend my 10+ years of experience into my Yogafit teacher training in order to share more of what I know.
Saturday was fantastic! Marina translated for me. I spent extra time at the beginning focusing on breath, taught a mixed level class and did a special tense and release relaxation at the end. The class applauded me and gave me roses and chocolate. They were so kind; it was incredibly touching. Then, the whole class stayed for tea and yoga discussion. We have ideas to teach a class on the beach at Lake Turgoyak. My studio, Zen Muscular Therapy and Wellness Center will be proud to have representation here in Russia!


Sign Reads: Flare Fitness Center

1 comment:

  1. You know what is so interesting to me? It's one thing to visit a far off place and do touristy things. But you guys, by actually living someplace different, get to do so much more that you'd otherwise never get exposed to - let alone think of. I mean, teaching yoga in a small Russian town?!? That's just too cool. Makes me realize the rest of the world might not be as different as one might assume. Rad. Keep the stories coming.

    ReplyDelete